mai kao jai

18 February 2005

Bulletin Update

Across the street from Legacy there is a public health space. Everynight at 6 pm, the women from the village get together there, play really loud techo-dance music, and do aerobics for about an hour. This phenomenon isn't specific to my village- everywhere in Thailand (or inChiang Mai at least) there are enormous outdoor aerobics classes at 6pm. People are really into it- it's kind of like the 80s! Everyevening the students look over our school fence and watch, and some ofthem dance along a little bit. The whole time I've been here I've said that I was going to go across the street and exercise too, and I finally did it last week- it was so much fun! The women are really nice too. Some of them speak a little English so they ask me thingslike where I'm from, how old I am, and if I have a boyfriend. After I went the first night the students told me that they wanted to go too.Quite a few of them came with me the next night, and it was great- Ithink they liked it a lot. I have been going everyday since. Sometimes the students go with me- the only problem is that 6 pm is dinnertimeat the school, so they either have to eat in a hurry and jump around on a full stomach, or eat later. Also, some of them have kitchen duty so they can't go- it rotates though, so everyone who wants to go will get a chance. We're going again next week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home