mai kao jai

07 January 2005

Bulletin Update

First of all, thanks for all of the concern for my well being after the recent disaster. Legacy is in northern Thailand, which has been completely unaffected by the disaster. I felt the earthquake a tiny tiny bit, but other than that I wouldn't have known anything major had happened if so many people hadn't emailed me and called my house! Despite its diminutive appearance on the world map, Thailand is a good-sized country- Phuket is very far away from Chiang Mai. I did go to Phuket and some islands in the area over Thanksgiving break, but I had to take two 12-hour bus rides to get there! I appreciate the emails and the phone calls to my parents, and am happy to report that everyone here is doing just fine.

Last week the other teachers and I went to Laos to get our visas renewed- we had a really fun trip! First we went to Vientiane, the capital of Laos. We saw lots of sights there and ate some really great food! James and I went to a traditional Lao dancing show, which was a lot of fun too. Next we headed to Luang Prabang. We didn't stay there long- we got there in the evening and left early the next morning- butwe did have time to visit the night market and eat some yummy Laotian food there- all you could eat for 5,000 kip, which is about 50 cents. The next morning we took off on a boat trip up the Mekong River. The trip lasted two days total, and the scenery was gorgeous! After the first day the boat stopped in a small village called Pakbeng. We spent the night there, and also spent the next day (Sabbath) and night there. Sunday morning we took off for the second day of the boat trip, which was full of more beautiful scenery. There are thousands of hilltribe peoples living throughout the mountains of Laos, so we could often see bamboo houses along the slopes. We also saw people washing clothes in the river and fishing or collecting their nets. We arrived in Huayxai Sunday evening, and then crossed to Chiangkhong, Thailand the next morning. Then we took a bus back to Chiang Mai- we arrived home Monday afternoon, and classes started up again the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home